Thursday, November 3, 2016

Losing My Training Wheels

I honestly can't believe I found a photo of a bike exactly like her!

Although I don't remember ever having training wheels, I'm sure I must have had them at some point in my life. I do remember my first bike, however. I hated it! lol It was a red and pink Strawberry Shortcake bike with a banana seat. A BANANA seat, for the love of Pete!

Oddly enough, now that I have found a photograph of a bike exactly like the bike I had, I realize now how extremely rad she was, and I want another in my size! I am currently scouring eBay...

This post isn't about Ms. Shortcake though. It is actually about an amazing volunteering experience I had in July at a special camp brought to Seattle, (as well as many other lucky cities) by a very cool program called Lose the Training Wheels.


"The mission of Lose The Training Wheels™ is to teach individuals with disabilities to ride a conventional two wheel bicycle and become life-long independent riders. This achievement, in turn, creates a gateway of opportunity, helping them gain assurance and self-reliance in many other aspects of their lives."

Can we all just take a moment to reflect on what it is about the ride that just stirs something in the heart? What is it? Is it the wind in your face? Is it the sound of your heart thumping, or your breath on a cool night ride? Is it the mud, the laughs, the beers, the post ride burritos? Is it the old friends and new ones you make along the way? Is it the quiet commute, the exercise, the green living? *smiles* ...It makes you want to share that lovin' feelin', don't it?





No comments:

Post a Comment