Thursday, April 5, 2012

Random Ramblings...

Do any of you talk to yourself out on the ride? Do any of you answer? :)

Ok, so I admit I do. And I sing! I don't sing well. Actually, when I was a child, my mother used to sing, and she was dreadful. She was nails on a chalkboard bad. My younger brother and I determined that she is most likely tone deaf. It has taken 3 decades to come to terms with this, but I am pretty sure I suffer from this same terrible ailment. Well, I guess I don't suffer...just everyone around me! Tee hee hee

I actually think quite a bit on the bike. I guess that makes sense, since I ride such distances. I spend a lot of time out there on the road and trail. Riding is different than running when it comes to what I can and can't think about while I am doing it. While I ride, I can pretty much think about what ever I want. I can work on a problem I am having, and face it, or I can use my time on the bike to ignore the issue and ride out the aggression. I almost always feel better after a ride, especially a good ride. Running is different. I have a lot less control over my thoughts while I run. I spend a good deal of time thinking about how much it sucks to run. I think a lot about race. It is fairly easy to obsess over it while I run. lol The one thing I can not do while I run, is feel sorry for myself. Isn't that weird? If I am am having myself a pity party, going on a run is like taking a mini vacation! Who knows what the heck I think about, but it feels nice for awhile.

I have never needed music to ride. I guess that is probably for the best, since it is a lot more safe to ride without ear buds. Occasionally, I will ride with one in, when I ride on the trail. I find it exceptionally rude when people (cyclists/runners/walkers/bladers-gag) can't hear you because they have their music on so loud you can't even communicate with them on the trail, (making them a hazard!) Then you pass them and they act like you're the dick head that didn't give them the heads up. As if.

"On your left!" Um...never mind.
That reminds me, who here thinks that it would be helpful if all 23 roller bladers/skaters in the world would just move to one city? That way they could build them their own special trail to glide right down the middle of, while wearing their ear buds. They could paint the trail like a rainbow, and pump glitter into the sky.

Meh... The boys are with their dad tonight. I miss them and I'm bored. Can anyone tell?

3 comments:

  1. Bladers should have special lanes that are "S" shaped or undulating in and out to accommodate their swerving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit it, I sing when I ride...what is worse, I don't always know I'm doing it! Oh, and, don't even get me started on bladers...in Minnesota we have all these Nordic skiers who use these super long roller-skis, which they basically have no control over and can't stop! Blerg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only talking I do to myself while riding is when I'm pushing myself to get up that next hill ("Go, go go.") or when I'm racing to cross a street before a car ("GO GO GO!").

    I wear one earbud when I'm riding the trail by myself and will sing along with my tunes. I've started listening to more classical and instrumental music to dampen my embarrassment level from singing, but I did catch myself humming along to the theme from "Raiders of the Lost Ark" last weekend.

    ReplyDelete