Monday, April 16, 2012

Yikes! My Race Is Becoming REAL!

I just received an email from IRONMAN 70.3 Lake Stevens! Here is what it said:

A MESSAGE FROM THE RACE DIRECTOR

Dear Athletes,

On behalf of the IRONMAN 70.3 Lake Stevens team, I would like to extend a warm welcome to all of our participants, as well as their families and friends. We thank you for making this event a stop on your race calendar!

With the incredible support from the local communities and businesses, we are excited to provide you with an incredible race experience. The 2012 course features a 1.2-mile swim in the crystal clear and calm waters of Lake Stevens. The new one-loop, 56-mile bike course takes athletes past old growth forests, tree farms, and many lakes. The two-loop, 13.1-mile run along the north shore of Lake Stevens, allows friends and family many opportunities to cheer you towards the finish.

I would like to thank the cities of Lake Stevens, Granite Falls and Snohomish County for all of their support in making this first-class venue available to the athletes. Due to our wonderful volunteers, you will have a better understanding of northwestern hospitality come race day!

I hope you enjoy your time in Lake Stevens and I look forward to seeing you reach your goals at the finish line!

Best of Luck,
Keats McGonigal
Race Director, IRONMAN 70.3 Lake Stevens

cam  
RACE 411
What you need to know...

Plan to watch the 20-minute athlete video before picking up your race packet.
• The swim will be an in-water, wave start. Swim waves will be based on age groups.
Be prepared for the rolling hills on the bike course, as there are very few flat sections.
• Train with the same equipment and nutritional plan you use during the race.
Bring friends and family to watch the entire race unfold from North Cove Park.  


The email also included a link to each of the course maps. Here they are!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I find even looking at the maps intimidating! I don't know how to swim, and I never bike and run on the same day, so I seriously do not understand how you triathletes put it all together in one race. Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not even sure if we can really call me a triathlete, because I haven't done a triathlon yet! lol I have my first one in June; just a "short" one to get my feet wet. My Ironman is in July. I am quite intimidated myself. I have never attempted anything like this before and I have no idea if I can push my lungs this far. I'm sure going to try though! :)

      Delete